In Progress

I'm a Textile Design student at Leeds University, specialising in Constructed Textiles. Doing a Year in Industry at the moment. I'm particularly fond of knitting but I'd like to consider myself a Jack of all trades (master of something, hopefully). Here I present a ongoing record of what I'm doing. Happy browsing!

Year in industry : 11-11/9/14

I continued with the blanket from last week, knitting two more panels for it . The pieces were all linked together. I also started knitting some sleeves. We have a lot of plain sweatshirts, which Katie suggested we could knit some patterned sleeves for. Had a trickier time figuring out the pattern as the amount rows to increase on didn’t work out to being a round numbers. I asked Valpuri for some help with that . While knitting, I ended up changing the amounts of decreases, which I have noted down. I managed to knit and sew one new sleeve to the sweatshirt .

Tuck stitch detail

Tuck stitch detail

Year in Industry: 4-5/9/14

I spent Thursday working form home doing some research. I looked into some trend forecasting, Bauhaus and knit homeware. I used WGSN to look into some trends for Spring Summer 2015, making note of any that are relevant to the style of the company. I looked into some colour forecasting, which will inform the next yarn purchase for the company. We’ve been looking into knitting some homeware, such as cushions and blankets, so I looked into this as well. I used a different site to look for interiors trends for next year. 

On Friday, I finished off the hood snood which I started a few weeks ago. I knit a trim and linked it together. Valpuri gave me a new project to knit a blanket, either to wear or as a homeware piece. I managed to knit a panel using the whole needle bed. Judging by its size, I’ll need to knit two more and link them together. I picked a punchcard with short floats so that lining isn’t necessary.

Make it in Design Summer School Brief 3 - Intricate Chaos

Advanced Track

Taking inspiration from my Patterns and Culture module last year, I started off creating geometric patterns using simple grids and shapes as the basis for it.  I used Islamic decorative arts as a influence, playing around with line placement. I layered the pattern over one of my watercolours from the first brief to add some subtle texture. It works very well as a repeat as it looks a lot like rolling waves once put into repeat. 

Year in Industry: 28-29/8/14

Admin day! We did a stock take to prepare for setting up the online shop. Mostly typing things up into a excel spreadsheet and seeing which products had images. Other fun things on Thursday were the fun trip the the furniture graveyard to pick up two new chairs and we picked up some white paper for product photography.

We set up the paper to us as a background for the garments and accessories. I used the SLR to take some product photos, arranging them accordingly. Also took some measurements for the garments to use in the product descriptions. 

Make it in Design Summer School Brief 2 - Tribal Collage

Advanced track

Found this brief a bit difficult as I wanted to do something that wasn’t too typical of tribal pattern, yet which wasn’t unrecognisable. I morked with layering to create texture, as well as using some more unusual idea (making animal print look more like repeat tribal patterns)

I prefer the less overcomplicated tribal inspired designs, although the brief suggested mixing and clashing patterns. 

Year in Industry: 21-22/8/14

Another hood snood finished. Finished off the pattern writing and all the making. Planning on trying some new techniques on the knit machine. I tried to knit a multicolour slip stitch but it seems as though the Brother knit machine currently set up doesn’t do this type of stitch (only two colour).

I tried to set up the electric Brother but the joy was short lived as the compressor (I think) went, resulting in a bit of a bang and some smoke. From my internet research, it seems as though the machine we currently have set up can on only do a two colour slip stitch. 

After that, I started work on another hood snood, using a pattern I punched a while ago. I have the main piece knitted, with just the trim that requires knitting before linking it all together.

Year in Industry: 15/8/14

I finished off the hood snood from last week today. Just a case of knitting a cord and weaving in some ends. I also managed to make another hood snood, fully finished. Refined the process a bit more more. I used the G-carriage to do some rib trim, while I used another machine to knit the cord. Takes some practice to make good use of my time. I used the same pattern but a different yarn. Overall, the hood snood turned out well. It wasn’t hard to link it all together in the end. I tend to mark the pieces at halfway and quarter points to ensure the pieces are linked together evenly. 

Make it in Design Summer School Brief No.1 

Advanced Track - Water rays

I went for more of the waves motif rather than swirls. Tried to keep it somewhat abstract while still making it recognisable. The mock up features some of the variations in the design, with the bottom left design being the one I submitted as my finals. Couldn’t decide whether I liked the extra background texture or not.

Year in Industry: 7-8/8/14

Working on that hood snood again. Had to figure out how to knit it on a different machine. Had to figure out the ins and outs of the punchcard settings and then figure out the gauge for the hood snood. Took a lot of work because the original pattern didn’t translate over exactly, so certain parts had to be knitted separately. Took a while to do but the result was good. Going to make some more with some different yarns and punchcard patterns. Played around more with the G-carriage, mostly trying to out its strengths and limitations.